We are looking for candidates with a willingness to learn and the ability to follow instructions. Taking the initiative and attention to detail is also crucial. You will be expected to assist in the preparation of cases, usually under pressure and to tight deadlines. You must, therefore, be able to prioritise workloads at any given time, be enthusiastic and organised. In return you will receive good supervision throughout with the opportunity to learn and early responsibility.
It is expected that the candidate will be fully IT competent, particularly with reference to the use of Word and Excel
Desired Qualifications/Experience: The ideal candidate must have experience of working in a law firm, preferably in the litigation department. Must have a minimum 2:1 degree and a commendation or distinction in their LPC.
Candidates should have good communication skills with an appropriate telephone manner.
Job Description: As a Litigation Paralegal at Aston Bond you will work directly for the firm’s Head of Litigation. You will be expected to handle and prepare sensitive documents often under a deadline. You will have direct contact with clients either on the telephone or in the office and must be able to tackle difficult issues with confidence. Your tasks will be varied and you will be expected to contribute to the continued development of the department.
Duties will include;
CASE AND TRANSACTION MANAGEMENT
These duties will initially be conducted under the supervision of a Partner:-
- Conduct interviews with clients
- Gain understanding client expectations and requirements
- Assess legal problems
- Advise clients on costs
- Conduct legal research
- Successfully deliver transactional goals
- Devise outline strategy for case
- Draft case papers
- Obtain information from relevant experts
- Assess the strengths and weaknesses of the other side’s case
- Instruct Counsel
- Negotiate settlements
- Meet deadlines for court appearance
- Issue proceedings
- Attend court to conduct advocacy and/or with counsel and/or to take notes
- Make applications to the court
- Maintain confidentiality
- Comply with all office procedure requirements
- Maintain the training record
- Conduct self-appraisal and development planning
- Actively participate in supervision and appraisal
- Complete time recording
- Maintain files (usually electronically but also in paper)
- Deal with billing, paying costs and closing files
- Follow administrative systems and procedures
- Gain competency in the skill standards
- Participate in team meetings and social and charitable activities
- Attend internal/external courses and pass the Professional Skills Course
- Keep up to date with law and practice
- Assist business development
- Achieve admission to the roll (where appropriate).
- Participate in team meetings and social and charitable activities, write blogs and content for marketing purposes; and
- Shared general administrative duties undertaken with other paralegals/trainees on a rota basis including opening and sorting incoming post, franking external post and assisting reception as required.
Please send your CV and covering letter to Ilinca Mardarescu at email@example.com quoting our
job reference: IM/HR/Lit.