What do they do?
The SRA regulate all solicitors and law firms in England and Wales.
1. They ensure that all solicitors are competent in upholding the law.
2. Make sure that solicitors and law firms meet the high standards set upon them.
3. The SRA works to build public trust and confidence in solicitors and law firms alike.
4. Steps in to assist in matters such as retrieving client documents and money if a law firm were to suddenly shut down.
5. Acts against solicitors and firms who do not follow the rules.
SRA Code of Conduct
The code of conduct describes the standards and business controls the SRA and public expect from firms. These aim to create and maintain the right services to clients. A failure to meet the standards may lead to the SRA taking regulatory action against the firm itself as an entity. These sort of actions can, and often do, lead to large fines against firms which are found wanting.
Section 1 of the code of Conduct states ‘maintaining trust and acting fairly’ is of paramount important.
The SRA Principles set out the standard by which all solicitors are expected to act. They make clear solicitors must act;
- In a way that upholds the constitutional principle of the rule of law, and the proper administration of justice.
- In a way that upholds public trust and confidence in the solicitors’ profession and in legal services provided by authorised persons.
- With independence
- With honesty
- With integrity
- In a way that encourages equality, diversity, and inclusion
- In the best interests of each client.
At Aston Bond we take pride in our profession and ensure all our solicitors stand with us to uphold each and every one of the Principles.
How does the SRA principles apply to us as a firm?
We always uphold the constitutional principle of the law, and the proper administration of justice. We support the SRA’s functions and work hard to support charities which work with the more vulnerable of our society by providing access to justice.
We understand that it’s crucial to uphold the public trust and confidence through the legal services that we provide.
All services at Aston Bond are carried out with honesty and integrity and we strive to exceed our clients’ expectations, each and every time.